The Power of Music

So this gave me chills. In 1995, I had the honor of teaching/directing the CLC singers as we prepared to sing on Alvin Slaughter's 'God Can' CD. It was a wonderful experience. Tonight, I watched a clip of an Italian choir sing one of the songs off of that CD, and I know by the arrangement, that they heard the version from the CD that we are on.
It is a blessing, because in my travels, most of what I see embraced of African American music and culture is negative. I have been thrown gang signs on the streets of Moscow, watched awful Russian 'gangsta rap' videos, and in Germany stared with disgust at P-Diddy and others leering at me from subway posters...
Yet here is an all white choir, praising God using an historically 'African American' art form, while not speaking the language. Music is Powerful, and Praise can happen in any and every language.

This is particularly meaningful for me, because one of my songs, 'Overwhelmed' has made its way to a third continent. It is my prayer that the churches that hear it in South America embrace it as churches in he USA and Germany have done.
What a mighty God we serve.
Please take a listen to the
Black Soul Gospel Choir as they sing Gary Oliver's classic song,
'Holy, Holy, Holy'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lisa C. Pemberton 1964-2011

Examining the tithe

Thabiti or T.D. what do 'we' folk prefer?