CJ Mahaney "Gods up", and mans down...



It was announced on July 6, that CJ Mahaney (at right) is taking a leave of absence from Sovereign Grace Ministries (SGM).
For those of you who do not know who this man is, I suggest that you ‘Google’ him. I will wait for you to come back…

Ok, you’re back? All right.
So, CJ is taking a leave from his position as President of SGM.

According to Charisma magazine:
In a blog post on SGM's website, Mahaney says pastors and leaders within Sovereign Grace have made charges against him and other leaders over the last few years, and he is taking a leave of absence “in order to give time to considering these charges, examine my heart and receive the appropriate help from others.”

Click Here to read the Charisma magazine article in full…

It goes on to say:

"Mahaney says the charges, which have been difficult to read, “are not related to any immorality or financial impropriety, but this doesn’t minimize their serious nature, which include various expressions of pride, unentreatability, deceit, sinful judgment and hypocrisy.”

When I first read the headline and first paragraph, my initial response was 'OH NO'. I am, you see, a CJ Mahaney ‘fan’ (fan is not an appropriate word, but it is the closest one to what I ‘feel’. I admire the brother, his work, his passion for Christ, and his consistency.)
But after my initial response, my response became ‘Praise God’… Why? Because CJ Mahaney, is like David, a man after God’s own heart. Unlike Eddie Long, who has yet to repent, CJ has shown once again that the cause of Christ is first. Anything that stands of the way of that, even if it is me, has to move.Too many of us forget this...
In our society, one is admired if they 'man up', but in the Bible, hence in 'real life' (Yes, the Bible way is real life, our society's ways are a fraud.)one 'Gods up'

CJ has chosen to 'God up, and man down', and I applaud him, and give glory to the most High God...


Consider this:

“For the past five years or so I have become increasingly aware of certain deficiencies in my leadership that have contributed to deficiencies in Sovereign Grace Ministries’ structure and governance, the lack of a clear and consistent process of conflict resolution and pastoral evaluation, and the number of former Sovereign Grace pastors who are offended with me/SGM,”

or this:
“My friends, though my soul can be easily overwhelmed as I contemplate my sin and its effects on others, I am also resolved to examine my heart, address the past, and play my role in preparing SGM for a future of planting and serving churches,”

Click Here to read CJ’s statement as it appears on the SGM blog

Those are the words of a man who is seeking God, examining himself, and is determined not to stand in the way of the Gospel.
Once again, CJ Mahaney has become a positive example for me.

Starting today, I endeavor to pray daily for CJ, and the SGM family of churches, and I will leave it at that. Why? Because unlike the others who I have chronicled on this blog, who have shown no regard for God, or the sheep of His pasture, CJ Mahaney, when confronted with his sin, has sought to be reconciled unto God, and to his brethren.
I will close with the closing of the letter that SGM put out on this issue:

”We realize there is much to process here, and much of it is disconcerting. Our theology serves us well in times like this: God is clearly at work in C.J., in our own lives, and in SGM. Our desire is to embrace all that he has for us in this season, knowing he is working for our good, however difficult that may be. To those in the SGM family of churches, our commitment is that we will, by God’s grace, seek to walk as humbly, wisely, and transparently as possible during this season, and to seek to serve and care for Sovereign Grace churches in whatever way we can. We covet your prayers, and we cherish our partnership with you now more than ever.“

- Dave, on behalf of the Sovereign Grace Ministries board
Click here to read it in full…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lisa C. Pemberton 1964-2011

Examining the tithe

Thabiti or T.D. what do 'we' folk prefer?