A discussion with a dear sister.

Shortly after the death of Michael Jackson I got an email from a sister who was upset about some of the comments that I made on my Facebook page, and she decided to take me to task for them. The following is my response to her...
I think that it pretty clearly elucidates my position on matters of faith, and the so called 'church' in America.
...The sister passed away suddenly shortly after, so we never got to finish this exchange...

My dear Sister,
I would like to address some of the things that you brought up in the thread, and want to do so outside of it, in the interest of time and space. Please indulge me.
I am looking forward (with anticipation) already to your response, and I haven't even sent it yet...
I was enjoying the thread, but couldn’t weigh-in as I would have liked, for reasons that you will soon see.

As for being so 'deep’: I sincerely hope that you were referring to me. I take it as a compliment. Thank you, truly.
All around me I see shallow ‘saints’, so to be considered 'deep' is a blessing. Yes I know how you meant it, and am aware that it was not complimentary

I hope to get to where Rev. A.M.is, in that I treasure the call of God so much that I will leave all that is familiar,(home, family, friends, culture, language)and move to a foreign country, knowing no one, to learn the language and the culture, so that I can preach the Gospel, and be effective for God?

Is that being " so heavenly minded we end up being "no earthly good"?

As for being confrontational, again I hope that you were referring to me, and again I thank you. Sincerely.

The fact is that the so-called church in America is dying, my sister, and it is not for lack of 'love' or 'tolerance' or 'political correctness’.

It is in fact because we no longer speak the truth in love. The American church is fast becoming a powerless, self-absorbed shell, a walking corpse.
(and I have the statistics to prove it, lol)

We placate, cajole and fondle, seeking to be seen as 'loving and nice' because 'Jesus is love'. We teach a watered-down comfortable Gospel or no Gospel at all, to make Christianity palatable, accessible and socially relevant. Forgetting that YHWH is HOLY and RIGHTEOUS and we will all give an account.

The most loving thing that we can do for someone else is to share the Gospel.
The Most loving thing that we can tell people is lead them through the Romans Road.

But we don't... Why?

We Pastors have done awful job of teaching the flock the truth of the Gospel, we have not equipped the saints, and as a result, are responsible for much of what is seen around us in America.

Because we have striven to be celebrities ourselves, we feed into the idolatrous culture that America is. We have failed. Because we ourselves have bought into the world’s measures of success, we have made allowances for unrighteousness, no longer hear from God, but know all of the right formulas for church growth… So we feed the sheep on dry brown grass...

As a result, we have a massive amount of skinny malnourished and poorly taught sheep crowding into huge pens Sunday after Sunday to be entertained.
Adam is aware of that, as am I, and we are doing all that we can to fight against it, and I know that we are not alone. It is like salmon swimming against the stream.

Yahshuah wanted and trained big strong tough sheep, and that's what he trained.
They were 'deep', and they were honest, like their Master.
They told the truth at great personal cost, and died for it, like their Master.
Why are we not like them?
Our Master is the same one, is He not?

But we love this verse don't we:

Galatians 2:20 “I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”

One of the things that I have been talking to my group about is the idea of 'reputational martyrdom'. We may not be killed physically anymore, but the truth of Mark 8:35 - “For whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it.” remains.

It is only when we are no longer afraid to 'die' to our reputations, carefully crafted images, and comfortable social situations, that we really become his disciples, and scripture bears that out...

But we won't do that, because it's uncomfortable. We are so good at doing ‘church’ and being religious, but so bad at being Christians.

This is why people like Brother A.X., who grew up in the church are so cynical and antagonistic to God and to the Gospel. He saw all the religious mish-mosh, but never saw Jesus...

He is a friend, and has been for many years. What kind of friend would I be if I didn't tell him that odds are he'll spend eternity in hell, unless he repents? I told him so, in love and with great care. He thanked me for my honesty.
I had to get past wondering or caring if he'd be so offended that he'd never speak to me again, or think of me as a religious zealot, or bigot. The truth is more important that our feelings, My sister.

This is why groups like the Westboro Baptist church can spring up, saying the most hateful atrocious things in the name of God, and they get air time.
If we were doing what we should be doing, they'd have no members and get no attention, but the sorry fact is that much of what they say is true, and because it's packaged in with the vitriol that they spew, it all gets disregarded. How sad. So when we say the same things that they say (those things that are correct) what happens? Labels and epithets.. But why should we have it any different. They pulled Yahshuah's beard out of his face. (Isaiah 50:6)



Concerning Michael Jackson,
It is sad that a Muslim wrote one of the clearest assessments of the world’s fascination with Michael Jackson’s life and death that I have seen:
It is here
Here is an excerpt:
... as I contemplate the loss of Michael, truly a giant figure in global "pop" culture, there is a second Qur'anic truth that resonates with me: that there is no deity worthy of worship but the One Lord of Creation. And how true these words must be for those of us who believe in God, yet live embedded in a culture where the mass adulation that society pours out on athletes and performers approaches -- and frequently crosses into -- the territory of idolatry.

Michael Jackson, for all of his obvious troubles and even moral ambiguities, was truly an "idol" for millions. His phenomenal talent as a child leading the legendary Jackson Five had grown, over the years, into entertainment legend that equaled that of Elvis Presley and the Beatles.

Our culture looked beyond his fixation with self-mutilation and his fascination with children, brushing them off as nothing more that the eccentricities of genius. And when, as it was reported, his $20 million annual income could not pay for his extreme spending habits, our culture brushed it off, and seemed prepared to pour more money into his gigantic pockets of self-indulgence, feeding his appetites and those of the army of sycophants who feed off of him.

But now, when the music has died, the world must confront a deeper question: Who, or what, do we actually worship? And what is the nature of our relationship with God if the objects of our adoration are nothing more than false deities?

Michael Jackson, I believe, was a mirror held up before society, and one that yielded a reflection of the shape and form of modern idol worship. I think of how frequently I hear the word "idol" used in the context of our celebration of mega-athletes and entertainers, and how we collectively allow them to hover just above the moral judgments that we reserve for lesser mortals.

But don't misunderstand me. I'm not complaining about Michael Jackson's phenomenal talents. Or his fame, or his money. In the final analysis (in the words of another dead icon, Tupac Shakur) only God can judge him. But collectively, we can, and we must, judge ourselves for the celebrity worship that permeates modern culture, and ignores the need to give real help to our "famous," but very human, brothers and sisters when they spin out of control.

I will miss Michael Jackson, too. I send my condolences to his family and loved ones.

But I must remind myself, and everyone, that the worship of celebrity, any celebrity, is both false and utterly destructive to the objects of worship and to those who bow down before them.

Let us honor great talent, but save worship for the Almighty God alone.


This person is so right that I'm angry. Where are the Christians saying this? Instead we get 'professed Christians' like Magic Johnson...
Anyway, before I go THERE again...

The facts are, that the tree is known by its fruit. Michael was a gifted musician, a humanitarian, and all that good stuff, he gave millions to charity, and that is awesome, but he was probably not saved.
You watched the memorial, what about the promoter saying that MJ was working on the whole ‘Coexist’ and ‘One truth’ business? What of that?
I say again, MJ was probably not saved.

The encounter that he had with the Crouches I think tells the real story. Michael went to them like Simon (not Peter) went to Peter in Acts 8:14-21...


According to Andrae Crouch's spokesman:

"...Andrae and Sandra did in fact visit with Michael Jackson two times, once at the recording studio, and once at his home in the last two months, as recently as three weeks ago, asking for prayer concerning the anointing of the Holy Spirit, and how he could make his music more ‘spiritual’. So Andrae and Sandra explained to him about the anointing and about Jesus. He wanted to know what makes your hands go up, and makes you ‘come out of yourself,’ and what gives a ‘spirituality’ to the music? He then requested to hear his favorite song that he loves and wanted them to sing to him, so they…joined hands and sang together, and he said, ‘it was beautiful.’ He first heard it in New York, and loved it and wanted it on tape. He had the engineer tape the song sang to him by Andrae and Sandra. He definitely had an encounter with them."

As to whether or not the legendary singer had prayed to receive Christ, through his spokesman Crouch responded…

"He did NOT reject Jesus or the prayer when (we) prayed, and gladly joined in prayer. He usually doesn’t touch anybody, but he touched them, and held their hands in a circle as they sang and prayed. There was NO actual ‘sinners prayer’ however, but they did talk and pray about Jesus and the anointing of the Holy Spirit."

Read more here


Compare that to the scripture:

When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them. When they arrived, they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, because the Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them; they had simply been baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.

When Simon saw that the Spirit was given at the laying on of the apostles' hands, he offered them money and said, "Give me also this ability so that everyone on whom I lay my hands may receive the Holy Spirit."

Peter answered: "May your money perish with you, because you thought you could buy the gift of God with money! You have no part or share in this ministry, because your heart is not right before God.
Acts 8:14-21 (NIV)

Very similar isn't it?


The facts are that MJ grew up Jehovah's Witness, and then later in life embraced Islam. But Christians are running around saying 'R.I.P.' when we know what the fate of those who know not the Christ is.

In all probability he is not resting, and not in peace.

But when that is said, there will be private assent (meaning that some will agree but fear or reprisal will not say it publicly), but public attack.

To prove my point, I may well post that on Facebook, and you watch the number of 'Christians' who will attack me, all of them using the 'Judge not' line.

Isaiah had it so right when he wrote these words:

9 Therefore is judgment far from us, neither doth justice overtake us: we wait for light, but behold obscurity; for brightness, but we walk in darkness. 10 We grope for the wall like the blind, and we grope as if we had no eyes: we stumble at noon day as in the night; we are in desolate places as dead men. 11 We roar all like bears, and mourn sore like doves: we look for judgment, but there is none; for salvation, but it is far off from us. 12 For our transgressions are multiplied before thee, and our sins testify against us: for our transgressions are with us; and as for our iniquities, we know them; 13 In transgressing and lying against the LORD, and departing away from our God, speaking oppression and revolt, conceiving and uttering from the heart words of falsehood. 14 And judgment is turned away backward, and justice standeth afar off: for truth is fallen in the street, and equity cannot enter. - Isaiah 59:9-14

And this is particularly egregious because we (the church) are supposed to be the pillar and ground for the truth, (1 Tim 3:15) meaning that we are the support and foundation of the truth. But we have so completely bought the lie of 'judge not', that we have become spineless and lacking conviction.

You mention being so 'deep' that we end up offending. Isn't that the point?
Is not the Gospel an offense?
If the scripture says that the heart of man is deceitful and desperately wicked, who can know it? -Jeremiah 17:9 In fact the 'God's Word' translation puts it like this: "The human mind is the most deceitful of all things. It is incurable. No one can understand how deceitful it is.

Couple that with the truth of 1 Corinthians 1: 18 which says that "..the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God."


And it is easy to see that there is no other response but offense. Why should we try not to offend, when the very nature, core of our faith is offensive?

Dr. Ken Motto puts it like this:
Many who preach about love, have no idea what biblical love teaches.
(2 John 1:6 KJV) And this is love that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, that, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it.
The true definition of biblical love is that we walk according to the Commandments of God, which means a person cannot truly love God unless they are saved.

Many people look at the following verse and immediately think that when we speak the Gospel to someone, we must do it with some type of shaky voice and wimpy approach. (Eph 4:15 KJV) But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

This verse is teaching us that when we speak to someone about the Gospel, it is to be done in Christian love, which is according to the truths of Scripture as we saw in 2 John 1:6.

Nowhere in the Bible do we find that for the sake of some phony love, are we to compromise the Gospel so we will not offend the listening party by bringing truth. That is one of the worst lies that Satan has ever gotten the believer to believe.

There must be a zero tolerance of compromise when bringing the true Gospel to someone. The true uncompromising Gospel is what sent many early Christians to the Coliseum. In the Middle Ages, the Roman Catholic Institution murdered millions who brought the true Gospel.


(Luke 6:26 KJV) Woe unto you, when all men shall speak well of you! For so did their fathers to the false prophets.

From: http://www.scionofzion.com/offense.htm
(This article is not for the faint hearted. He gets quite strong, and you may be offended)

Ok, let me stop here.
My sister, I hope that you will consider both my words and the spirit in which they are written. I make no apologies for the zeal that I have for God, His Word, and His people. I pray that you will see that for what it is. Truth spoken in Love.
Peace & Blessings,
CTJ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lisa C. Pemberton 1964-2011

Examining the tithe

Thabiti or T.D. what do 'we' folk prefer?