The Clubdate Singer Speaks: Chapter 2

Disclaimer: The following story is an actual event, as all of the vignettes in the 'Clubdate Singer Speaks' series are. For 8 years, I was a member of one of the top Orchestras in the nation. Though it was an enjoyable time, it was also at times, quite painful. I took to writing initially to assuage my distress, and this is one of those times when the pen (or keyboard) proved to be a healing tool. I have considered publishing this series, and would appreciate your thoughts...

 “Mandingo” - 2002

I’m sure that’s what’s on her mind as she watches me. Or perhaps Jungle fever…

I listen to the words that I sing, somehow detached… 

“I feel a change, something moves, I scream your name, look what you got me doing… 
Darling I, can’t get enough of your love babe…”

Damn that Barry White! As I sing about his orgasm, my harem grows...

 There are four of them now, standing in a half circle in front of me, swaying to the rhythm, leering at me. My congas are my protective barrier, my fortress. You can have my voice, but that’s it. I look around the room, shake my head and smile to myself.. This is too deep... 

The dance floor is packed, people moving, sweating, fantasizing.  I understand that this is the desired result. We sell fantasy, my band and I. We sing songs that bring out old memories, and help people make new ones, in a setting that is most surreal.

Weddings aren’t real life, you see. They are a fantasy, a high-priced dream state, and we are there to perpetuate it.  I wonder if this couple will still be together by the time the wedding is paid for. This thing had to have cost 100 grand easy… We could feed a nation with that kind of money, and if they can spend this on a wedding? Jesus, there’s no recession, these folks have all the money. But I digress. Back to my girls…They leer, I wink. I growl, they swoon.

 “ I was brought up on a side street, I learned how to love, before I could eat… When I start lovin’, I can’t stop…”  

'The myth' is in full effect. I’m rough, tough, and the only thing bigger than my member is my libido.Yes, I’m a soul man, one in a long line of men that can sing a song, and make you sweat…. 

I’ve been groped and propositioned (by men and women). Interestingly, these same people would run from me if they saw me on the street in the middle of the night. Six feet tall, Over 250 pounds, dark skin, bald head, earrings in both ears… Your worst nightmare, now your Saturday night fantasy… 

“ Reach out to me, for satisfaction, call my name, for quick reaction…. Hold on, I’m coming…” 

That does it. One leans over and whispers. “ I wanna dance with you”  I do not reply, just smile… 

“Mustang Sally, I think you better slow your mustang down…”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lisa C. Pemberton 1964-2011

Examining the tithe

Why I cannot vote for Barack Obama