Disclaimer: The following story is an actual event, as all of the vignettes in the 'Clubdate Singer Speaks' series are. For 8 years, I was a member of one of the top Orchestras in the nation. Though it was an enjoyable time, it was also at times, quite painful. I took to writing initially to assuage my distress, and this is one of those times when the pen (or keyboard) proved to be a healing tool. I have considered publishing this series, and would appreciate your thoughts... "The Conflict” - Early 2004 (Please note the date of this writing. Much has changed since, but it reflects the state of mind I was in at that time) Though this series of essays is autobiographical, I and my situation are by no means unique... Saturday night : I stand behind the microphone, in the crowded, dimly lit club, singing songs that make your body move. I am the lead singer. Sunday Morning : I stand behind the microphone in the crowded, brightly lit church, singing songs tha...
Comments
I feel such compassion for black folks. I really want to bridge the divide between white Christianity and black Christianity, but I really have no idea how to reach out to people without being misinterpreted. Actually, that's not entirely true. I've done several years of inner city youth work, which of course primarily entailed ministering to black teens. But I could sense the transition to a certain touchiness and race-consciousness as they approached adulthood, and I never quite figured out how to defuse that tension.
What do you think about methods of interracial bridge-building? How do white Christians reach out without seeming like they're attacking the rich heritage of black Christian culture, or trying to subsume it into "white" modes of Christian life?